Baratza Vario-W 986 – Flat Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder (with Shut-off Hopper and Bin)
As always, it’s not just what’s inside that matters; the Vario-W’s smooth operation carries over from internal to external, with front-mounted, easy-access control units, a 5 oz. grounds coffee collection bin. Burrs: The Vario-W’s 54 mm professional ceramic flat burrs produce accurate grinding, high throughput and remain sharp twice as long the highest quality steel
As always, it’s not just what’s inside that matters; the Vario-W’s smooth operation carries over from internal to external, with front-mounted, easy-access control units, a 5 oz. grounds coffee collection bin.
Burrs: The Vario-W’s 54 mm professional ceramic flat burrs produce accurate grinding, high throughput and remain sharp twice as long the highest quality steel burrs. The Vario-W grinds 1.6 grams/second for espresso and 2.2 grams/second for Press. The broad range of grind (230 microns to 1150 microns) and the narrow particle distribution (lack of fines) are the hallmarks of the superiority of the Vario-W’s burrs.
Digital Control Panel: The front-mounted control panel with LED display is easy and intuitive. Three programmable buttons allow the user to program in the desired weight (+/- 0.1). Simply press the START button and the Vario-W automatically delivers precise dosing.
Grind Adjustment: The Vario-W offers macro and micro adjust for fine tuning with ease. The macro adjust moves from fine to coarse grinding in 10 distinct and repeatable settings. A secondary micro adjust arm further divides each of the 10 macro steps into 20 distinct settings. These steps enable you to dial in the exact grind for the perfect shot.
Grinds Left in Grinder: To maximize freshness, the Vario-W minimizes the ground coffee left in the grinder.
Brewing Methods: The Vario-W is exceptional for espresso and manual pour brewing methods.
Motor: A powerful, high torque DC motor effortlessly drives the burrs. This motor turns slowly resulting in cool, quiet operation and permits long grinding duty-cycles. The circuitry is equipped with an automatically resetting, thermal cutoff switch.
Calibration: The Vario-W is calibrated at the factory to ensure an accurate range of grind.
- The NEW Baratza Vario-W 986 has weight-based grinding for extreme accuracy, which makes it easier to make that perfect cup of coffee. Baratza’s groundbreaking Vario-W is a fully integrated real-time weight-based grinder.
- It has all the features of the Vario including small footprint, macro/micro adjustment, ceramic burrs, and a broad range of grind, but uses a weight-based dosing approach rather than a time-based approach.
- This professional-grade grinder fits anywhere, from your kitchen to your office to your café. The Vario-W was initially designed for use in a manual brew bar in a café, eliminating the need to manually pre-weigh coffee beans.
- The built-in precision load cell provides accurate weighing, while grinding, to within 0.1 grams. Three user-programmable buttons make for repeatable, one- touch grinding.
- The design is beautiful as well as functional. The Vario-W’s intuitive macro/micro adjustments offer 230 distinct and repeatable settings for any style of coffee. The Vario-W’s unique 54mm ceramic flat burrs provide accurate, fast-grinding (averaging 2 g/sec) performance and remain sharp twice as long as the best steel burrs. The high-torque DC motor and belt drive transmission mean your beans are in for a smooth, cool ride.